Interpreting and translations


Who can interpret

When dealing with authorities and institutions, you can designate a person to provide you with either interpretation or basic assistance along with interpretation. Other conditions for appointing an interpreter depend on the nature of the meeting and the competent authority. Information on the appointment of an interpreter during administrative proceedings is provided by the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.


Professional interpreting

If you need a professional interpreter, you can use at your own expense the services of registered court interpreters or intercultural / community interpreters (who provide basic assistance in addition to interpreting, their services might be free of charge).

For interpreting by phone in Ukrainian, Vietnamese and Mongolian, you can use the anonymous Assistance Infoline operated by Caritas CR (it also offers basic advice and assistance with filling out forms).


Certified translations

When submitting foreign documents to authorities and institutions (eg diplomas, birth certificates, extracts from the criminal record) it is usually obligatory to submit a certified copy of the (legalized) document made by a Czech notary and translated by a Czech court interpreter. A certified (court) translation of a document can only be issued by a court-appointed interpreter. The list of court interpreters is listed in the database of the Ministry of Justice.